Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You Compliment Me & I, You

I was talking to my friend Tony tonight for a long time. It is rare that I talk to him for that long. He's a busy guy. But we went thru a lot of topics that got me thinking & got me wanting to blog about it. However, I want to just discuss one of them.

I was telling him that I am looking quite unattractive right about now because I finished taking out my braids. I wished I didn't have to work tomorrow. Now he was telling me that I probably still looked good. I laughed in his ear. Then he went on to tell me, that I would look good whether my hair was braided or not and that I would look good with or without clothes on. Then I definitely laughed louder. I told him he needs to keep his mind out of the gutter. He got offended. He said he meant whether I was dressed up or not. I of course gave him my signature "mm hmm". Then he complained that I didn't know how to take a compliment. Then I said he was just trying to charm me. He then said I should learn how to take a compliment.

This made me think. I've been told that before. I don't take compliments well. I never believe them. I never know who's sincere. I don't find myself to be gorgeous. I think I'm ok. I do get my share of attention. However, most times people compliment me, it's because they want something from me. I rarely get genuine compliments.

What would it take for me to believe compliments? I believe consistency without the person asking for something in return. I know that might create a monster. But I really don't know how to overcome my issue with compliments. I will give big surprise to anyone who can give me any advice on how I can start to believe in compliments.

No comments: