Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Twilight Series

The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers consists of 4 books. They are actually a Young Adult books. I didn't find it in that section when I bought the 1st book at Borders. The rest I bought at Barnes & Noble. The book was sitting right next to Dead After Dark by Charlaine Harris, a very adult book. Goes to show, stores are catering adult books to kids. I bought the book on just a plain old whim. There wasn't a synopsis of the story on the back cover nor inside either covers. I had no idea what it was about when I took it to the cash register.

On my ride home from work, I decided to crack the book open. I really liked the book and was very happy about the purchase. It took me a week to read the 1st book. I gave it to my employee to try too.

I bought the next 2 books together. It took me 2 weeks to finish both. At this point I am eagerly waiting for Meyers to finish writing and publishing what is to be the final book. She has taken longer to write than a few of my favorite authors.

For a YA book, Meyers seems to capture a moody teenager well. My feelings about that is she really acts like one. After the 4th book, she was supposed to create a 5th book that was he 1st book but written in Edward's point of view. I think it was supposed to be Midnight Sun. Well with her popularity and everyone dying for more, her manuscript was leaked on the web. So she decides to not publish it. Do you know how many author manuscripts have been leaked? It just generates more buzz. Even those who got the leak will pay for a published book. I think she was being a punk. If it happened to me, I would be upset but I wouldn't deny the rest of my fans the chance to read it.

After this incident, she started a new book called The Host. It wasn't received as well as the Twilight series. She then revisited the Twilight series with a novella based on a lesser character from the series. I don't know if Meyers shot herself in the foot or not, but I'm not excited to read any further books from her.

No comments: