Saturday, July 30, 2011

Life with JH: Immigration Alley

Today I took JH to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. He's been wanting to get there for a year. He moved to NY near the end of last summer. We just never really got up the gumption to go during the fall or spring. He certainly wasn't going to get me out there in the winter.

So we headed out from home around 11 am. Took about 40 mins to get to Battery Park. Mind you today is a scorcher. We get there, it's a 1.5 hour wait to buy tickets in the sun. Then we had to stay in line to board the ferry for another 1.5 to 2 hours.

First stop Statue of Liberty. The one and only other time I've been there was on a school trip in my early elementary years. It was pretty cool. We took pictures and ate there. Then we waited in line for the next stop.

Next stop, Ellis Island. We head get off boat. My toe at this point is bothering me. First thing I do when we enter the immigration museum was ask for a bandaid for my toe. I actually had to leave my name just for a bandaid. Can't take any chances I guess. There is a service where you can look up your ancestors. Mine never came thru here so it was not worth it. We spent less time on this island. We were just plain tired. We had to wait in line again to get back to the main island of Manhattan.

Once we returned, we made a mad dash for the subway. We both wanted to get home. We had a nice day. Would I make this trip again? I don't think so.
I had fun with JH, but the lines are terrible.




No comments: