I never would have purchased this house if I’d known that my freedom was not granted to the terms of my arrangement with my maker, Carl. It’s been more than 1 year that I have become what I am. I have been through battles and heartache. I have lost and loved. It had been a trying year. I need to be free to try to resume my life before my metamorphosis. I can’t have my maker bullying his way into my life and make it any more miserable than it already is.
You see, the arrangement was, I could be free to live and carry-on as I like, as long as I perform what is required of me. We currently are in a time of peace; so my services are not required. That’s what I believed. However, they keep making all these political meetings that I could care less about. Can you guess where these meetings are taking place? In my new house, of course; there’s a meeting nearly twice a week!
I had a blissful month before Carl showed up on my doorstep telling me that I have been unanimously selected to be a part of our ruling body.  I did not nominate myself nor have I shown any interest in joining. Each member of the ruling party has a special power that makes them desirable. I never asked for my special power. It was just my unfathomable luck.
First let me introduce myself.  My name is Madison and I used to think I was human. Now I belong to a race that lives amongst humans but we are not. We look the same but have very subtle physical differences. Are we a threat to humans? Sometimes we are and sometimes not. You shouldn’t worry too much.
Now, let me return to why I am so miserable. It started last week, our last meeting. We were discussing living arrangements and such for new neophytes. I suggest that there should be a safe house for them. They were in instant agreement with me. Now the debate was to where a safe house can be located. Carl nominated my house. Can you believe this? My house!! So I suggested that since he was such a great mentor he should use his own home. So in the end, the tally of the votes became a tie. We would have to debate some more at the next meeting.
After the meeting, Carl pulled me aside to discuss why it was more advantageous for the neophytes to stay with me. I put it firmly that I am not interested in babysitting. He said it really isn’t babysitting but being a mentor to the young ones. I countered saying that it was the same thing. I would have to devote my time when I could care less. I just want to live my life in peace. Do what I want to do without a care in the world. He left saying that I have all the time in the world to do so but I should give back to our society.
Once Carl left, I made a plan. One part of it was to transfer some of my personal effects to a storage facility. I had a feeling that things were not going to end in my favor. I will not babysit anyone. I know I am being selfish but I have not been left alone to enjoy my new life. I need time to myself for a while.
The next day I went to the court and social security administration to get a new name and social security number. I usually can get what I want, but all the time. I made sure the storage was under my new name.  I also tried to tie up some loose ends.
Tonight’s the evening of the meeting.  Carl and the others walk in and comment that my place has lost its homely appeal.  Once the meeting commences, the topic of the location of the safe house is brought up. This time the vote was unanimous that it would be my house. My objection fell on deaf ears. So, that’s why tomorrow I’m setting it on fire.