Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Poet In Me

I was thinking or should I say dreaming about publishing my vast amount poems. I had stopped writing poems for a while, but I have racked up a good 30 poems that reflect different periods in my life in my youth.

I was thinking in discussing the time periods for each poem. Does that sound good? Or does that defeat reading the poem? I think I should do it. I know I asked your opinion, but my gut is saying just to add my story along with the poem. They say going with your gut leads you in the correct place.

All the poems I have had copyrighted with the US Library of Congress years ago. Why did I copyright them and not put them out for the world to read? I think it's high time I release them to the world.

I do need an artist though. Someone to create an interesting cover design. I think I should ask my friend if she can. She's a wonderful artist. I need a piece that has angst, youth with artsy feel. I wish I was artsy in the sense of drawing or illustrating. I can't even use photoshop. It's beyond my analytical mind. I'm a numbers girl. My art is getting companies' and people's finances straight.

I will work the next few weeks on getting this book ready. I will also have to learn the publishing requirements for Smashwords & Amazon.com. Maybe I'll look into Barnes & Noble and Apple too. Can't be choosey.

This will be my first solo project to be published. I have written copy for my company in a TimeOut Kids magazine. My name is not mentioned there. I also was a contributor to an Anthology in 2012. I was one amongst 7 other brilliant authors. You can find the book here.

I hope this goes well. It's something that I want to do. I do get discouraged easily. I will stay on it. I will drop hints on twitter about how it's going. I will make another post about launch dates.

I will also learn how to market myself. This is something I really need to learn. This experience will teach me a lot. Experience is the best teacher.

If anyone knows an illustrator or artist, can you send me their name and email address to the email address here?

Thanks for reading. I'm pretty excited!!!
xoxoxo



2 comments:

Chrisor (@ynotkissme) said...

I think the story you put along with the poem will only add to it. I wish you so much luck with this project. I think you will get lots of positive feedback from your poems. I'm really excited for you! I'm sure the whole thing feels daunting. I don't know if you're a photographer but you may want to consider including photos with the poems instead of artist renderings. I don't know if that would work for you, just an idea.

Tiger's Lair said...

Thanks Chrisor. I'm excited too. I'm not a very good photographer. But I will look at my photos to see if any thing fits. I'm more concerned with cover art though. Your words of support makes me very happy. Thanks.