Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Under The Knife

  In previous post I mentioned that I was supposed to have surgery. At the end of January I finally went        
  and had it. The procedure I had is called "abdominal myomectomy". 

   "...abdominal myomectomy is a major surgical procedure. It involves making an incision through   
   the skin on the lower abdomen, known as a "bikini cut," and removing the fibroids from the wall of 
   the uterus.

    Myomectomy | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center

    https://www.ucsfhealth.org › treatments"

    "Fibroids are abnormal growths that develop in or on a woman’s uterus. Sometimes, these tumors become quite large and cause severe abdominal pain and heavy periods. In other cases, they cause no signs or symptoms at all. The growths are typically benign (noncancerous). The cause of fibroids is unknown.

    Fibroids

    http://www.healthline.com"


    This was my first major surgery in my life. It originally felt like I was hit by a truck. I really envy mothers who've had caesarians and had to take care of their baby almost immediately. Mothers I salute you. 

    "Caesarean section, also commonly known as C-section and other spellings, is a surgical procedure in which one or more incisions are made through a mother's abdomen and uterus to deliver one or more babies.

    I've had fibroids for a while but they never really bothered me too much. It was more of an extra pressure when my hubby laid his arm on my abdomin or an annoyance when exercising. They however increased in size and I believed I gained a lot of weight. I found that they were quite large at ending of 2014 and I was contemplating what to do. They really weren't bothering me too much. My period wasn't irregular at all. 

    By the summer of 2015, it all changed. My period after so long became irregular and unmanageable. I would have to wear 2 overnight pads in the day time and change them every hour to hour and a half. I never had to deal with this before and it was quite frustrating. The first time it happened I thought it was a fluke, but it continued each month. That was it. I had to take care of this matter. I couldn't keep this type of period up. Now it was a matter of timing. 

    So I had to work this out with work. I originally wanted to take of this the week before Christmas, but it ended up a month later. So Jan 29th was the date.

    Now my thoughts about my leave. I had many of them:
       1. I can finish up my novel
       2. I can catch up with my finances
       3. I can organize my house
       4. I can work on my client's work.
    However, this healing process is something else. For first 2 weeks, my attention span was minimal. I slept a lot and could only do things didn't require brain power. It's now in my 3rd week. My concentration level has improved. Hence I am writing this post, lol. I have started point #2 but my creative side hasn't returned yet so point #1 is a no go. 

    I start back to work tomorrow, part time. I can't do full days yet. I am supposed to go to office in March. It is daunting because stairs is a kicker for me. I need to sit down after I climb or descend. Hopefully I'll be much better by then. 

    Now, let me tell you this recuperating period is not easy for the stubborn and independent. You need help. You also need to learn to ask for help. And you must accept help. This has been an internal struggle this whole time. Hopefully, going forward, it will not be an issue. I will have learned from this experience. I am also going to be in this position again if/when I have a baby. My doctor says I will have to have a caesarian section to deliver a baby. Only time will tell what will happen. I do plan to live healthily as possible. 

    If you want to learn more about my condition, you can discuss with your ob/gyn or you can google them. This is a fairly common issue. 

    Until next time....


No comments: